Weekend in Malacca, Malaysia

Global Entrepreneurship

Joel Tan-Aristy

As we made our way to the last weekend in Singapore, with the students working hard on their entrepreneurship ideas, we went on our planned trip to the city of Malacca in Malaysia. This started with the roughly 3-hour road trip from Singapore to Malacca on Saturday, with a stint in Malaysian immigration customs. 

When we arrived in Malacca, the students learned about Malay clothing and how to paint in the batik art form. This is a traditional Malaysian art form in which one first puts water on a fabric, and then covers the wet section with the desired paint. This was a great, relaxing activity. 

Then we had lunch in which we tried Peranakan Cuisine. Peranakan Cuisine comes from the early Chinese immigrants to Malaysia, making it a centuries-old fusion between Malay and Chinese cuisine. The students enjoyed that, and then headed to the hotel for a much-needed break.

We then had a nice dinner, followed by a cruise on Malacca river. Students got to learn about the rich history of Malacca. Students then went to a night market, in which they ate street food and bought small trinkets. 

Sunday morning, students cut out dragons from paper. They then visited a traditional Malay home that is now converted to a museum. After some more shopping and a lunch consisting of Malay style chicken rice, we headed back to Singapore.

We had a great time visiting the city of Malacca and getting to experience Malay culture.