Discovering Singapore: Our First Two Days with CIEE

Global Entrepreneurship

audrey Mesler

Greetings from Singapore! Our journey with the CIEE High School Study Abroad Program in Global Entrepreneurship has just begun, and what an incredible start it has been. We landed in this vibrant city-state yesterday and have already immersed ourselves in its unique blend of cultures and modernity.

Day 1: Arrival and Marina Bay Sands

Upon arrival at Changi Airport, we felt the excitement in the air. Since our arrival was early, we took time to explore the beautiful Jewel and fully immersed ourselves in the beauty of the Shiseido Forest Valley. Our first destination, after quickly dropping off our luggage to the hotel, was the stunning Marina Bay Sands. The students were amazed by the grandeur of this luxury mall and hotel. For lunch, we explored a local food court, where the students bravely sampled dishes like Hainanese chicken rice and laksa. It was a fantastic introduction to Singapore's culinary delights.

The evening was a mix of relaxation and exploration. Some students ventured out to see nearby attractions and tour the local scene, while others chose to rest and adjust to the time zone.

Day 2: Orientation and Entrepreneurship Class

Today began with an orientation session packed with cultural tips and practical advice for navigating life in Singapore. It was enlightening and set a respectful tone for our stay here.

In between orientation and our first class, the students indulged in a Korean BBQ welcome lunch. Students feasted on pork belly, bulgogi, and a wide array of side dishes, such as tteokbokki and jjigae. 

Next, we dove into our first Global Entrepreneurship class. The instructor, a seasoned entrepreneur, shared fascinating insights and real-world examples. The students were encouraged to share their passions and their "superhero business cards" which consisted of their strengths and kryptonite. They were then placed into groups to start their entrepreneurial projects. 

Dinner at Chinatown Complex 

To wrap up our day, we ventured to Chinatown for dinner at the bustling Chinatown Complex Hawker Center. The variety of food stalls and vibrant atmosphere was a hit with everyone. Students ordered dishes such as xiaolongbao and claypot rice. It was a perfect end to a day filled with learning and cultural immersion.

The students are already forming bonds and soaking up new experiences. We’re excited for the journey ahead and can’t wait to share more updates. Stay tuned!