Time Capsule: Tempelhof

German Language & Culture

Courtney Frets

Bunkers, The Hunger Games, and the Luftbrücke - three seemingly unrelated topics that all have one location in common: Tempelhofer Flughafen (Airport). On Monday afternoon, Levels 2 and 3 were guided through the remains of a massive building and one of the few remaining original examples of Nazi-era architecture in Berlin. As we entered, we were greeted with gorgeous stained glass windows that were donated by the NCO Wives (non-commissioned officers) during the Berlin Airlift (Luftbrücke) of 1948-1949. During this year, British and American air forces provided West Berlin with much needed provisions during the Soviet Blockade. We learned that during this time, the Western Allies were able to provide about 3,500 tons of supplies each day, which equates to about one "drop" every 3 minutes.

Photo for blog post Time Capsule: Tempelhof

While a bustling and modern airport during its prime, today, one-third of the structure stands empty and is mainly used as rental space for Hollywood productions such as The Hunger Games and John Wick 4

Walking the halls of the abandoned airport was simultaneously a history lesson mixed with the "creepy-mäßig" vibes of a horror movie. Our group was able to walk through the underground bunkers of the structure that used to house top-secret aerial photos during the Nazi-era that, according to our guide, were mysteriously burned in a fire when the Soviets raided the building at the end of World War II.

After successfully "escaping" the bunkers, we toured the well-preserved part of the airport that was mainly used by the Americans during the 1960s and 1970s (since Tempelhofer Flughafen is located in the former American sector of Berlin). We were able to see what passport control and security was like before modern technology changed everything! Our guide also explained that the airport is currently not in use due to the lack of foresight by the original architect to build runways long enough for modern planes - the original idea was to build a symmetrical structure in the likeness of a Prussian Iron Cross. 

Our group loved our trip through the time capsule that is Tempelhofer Airport and were able to see how structures can tell stories through architecture and historical events.