Student Spotlight: Unforgettable Barcelona

Christine Yardley

Global Navigator Max Laban traveled from Seattle to Barcelona to participate in the Spanish Language & Culture program. He shares his experience here.

Max

This summer, I had an unforgettable month-long study abroad experience in Barcelona, staying with a wonderful host family. The program was immersive, providing a perfect blend of academic learning and cultural exploration.

Each weekday, I attended Spanish language classes in the afternoon, where I significantly improved my fluency through interactive lessons and engaging activities. The teachers were passionate and always encouraged us to practice speaking, which boosted my confidence immensely.

Max in Tarragona
Max with his friends in Tarragona.

Mornings and weekends were filled with cultural excursions. I visited iconic landmarks such as La Sagrada Família, Park Güell, and the Gothic Quarter. One of my highlights of the trip was during a day trip to Tarragona where me and many of my group mates got to experience the beautiful beaches on the coast, and get to experience a more mellow area compared to Barcelona.

Group in Parc Güell
Max with his excursion group in Parc Güell

Living with a host family was a deeply enriching experience. They were incredibly welcoming and made me feel at home. I got a firsthand look at daily life in Spain, from family dinners filled with delicious homemade tapas, and paella, and learning about local customs and traditions. My host family also introduced me to their friends and relatives, further immersing me in the vibrant Spanish culture. I was shown many things I thought I would never experience, such as sailing on a sailboat because coincidentally my host brother was a sailing instructor. These experiences are life changing, and something I never would’ve expected to have done prior to this trip. 

Overall, this study abroad experience in Barcelona was transformative. I return home with improved language skills, a deeper appreciation for Spanish culture, and memories that will last a lifetime.

~Max Laban