Tapas: A Tour of Spain's Gastronomy

Spanish Language & Culture

Clare Duckworth

Today we had the opportunity to deepen our knowledge about Spanish gastronomy by preparing and cooking our very own tapas. We began by putting on our aprons, washing our hands, and playing some relaxing music! We split up into four groups and rotated from station to station so that we could get the chance to prep and cook everything ourselves. The four stations included making tortilla de patata (Spanish omelette), montaditos de atún (small tuna sandwiches), chickpea and tomato empanadas, and pintxos with crab, curry and mango sauce. Not only was it delicious, but it was extremely fun! 😀

Pintxos

Undoubtedly, the best part of the experience was getting to eat the food we made! However, a close second was the process of dando la vuelta a la tortilla (flipping the tortilla), which we learned is quite the task. First, each student got to whisk a mixture of eggs, potatoes, and salt. They then tossed it in a pan with olive oil and cooked the egg mix ever so slightly before the big moment: flipping the tortilla. It was a huge success, the kids proved to be excellent tortilla flippers!

Tortilla Flip!

Afterwards, we were able to enjoy the fruits of our labor while asking the chef questions about his life in the kitchen during their misión ñ. The students practiced their Spanish while learning about the origins of certain Spanish dishes. ¡Que rico todo!

Finished products