Stomp and Clap: The Kids Have Learned Flamenco 🇪🇸

Spanish Language & Culture

Nayi Padilla

Today was the day to learn to dance Flamenco, and it was an afternoon filled with fun and laughter. We enjoyed a delightful walk to the CIEE Location, where our flamenco instructor awaited us. The students were eager and participated enthusiastically in each session, keen to master the steps of this vibrant Spanish dance.

Flamenco, which originated in the Andalusian region of Spain in the 18th century, combines singing (cante), guitar playing (toque), dance (baile), and handclaps (palmas) to create a dynamic and passionate performance. Our instructor, who has been dancing flamenco since she was seven years old, shared her expertise and passion with us, sparking curiosity among the language and culture students. They asked many questions about flamenco and eagerly learned some of the dance's unique vocabulary and steps.

By the end of the class, everyone was engaged and having a blast. The students even created a fun mix to combine some of the flamenco steps they had learned. It was a memorable day,  and everyone left with a greater appreciation for this famous Spanish dance.