Urban art in Palma de Mallorca

Spanish Language & Culture

Eblin Molina

Palma has a lot to offer. It has something for everybody. Here you can find beautiful beaches, delicious food, interesting stores, fabulous plazas, amazing historical buildings and monuments, wonderful people, and great urban art. We started the day walking through some of the many callejones (alleys) and narrow cobblestone streets looking for graffiti created by local artists, such as Joan Aguiló, Soma, and Zon. These artists have a special way to touch on topics like social justice, equality, and politics, as well as to capture the essence of the Mallorquin life.

Throughout our walk we talked about the messages that each artist intended to communicate with their pieces. We paid attention to the colors, the shapes, the perspective, the size, and the location to get a better understanding of each piece’s meaning and importance. It was a hot morning, but we had time to take a break at a cute little plaza. The students in our group had the opportunity to eat a snack and hydrate before we continued our search for more graffiti. We ended the tour with a visit to one of the best gelato places in the city to enjoy a refreshing scoop of everybody’s favorite gelato flavor.

It was fun to get to know a different side of Palma and immerse ourselves in it.