Musée des Beaux-Arts à Rennes

Honors French Language & Culture

Beth-Ann Alto

This week in class, our students have been talking about the importance of creativity and artistic expression in our lives as well as in our communities. Rennes is a city full of artistic opportunities--cinemas, concerts, dance, fine art, architecture. 

Today, the Rennes Language and Culture Honors students visited Le Musée des Beaux Arts de Rennes. During our visit, the students learned about the history of Street Art which connected well with their experience working with local street artists the day before. The students saw art from Ancient Egypt including a mummy of a cat as well curiosities from Asia. They really enjoyed the grand salles of the 16th and 17th centuries where they reproduced grand paintings. There was a local slam poet who, inspired by a work in the Salle de Réalisme, gave an impressive show of his poetry. There was a beautiful golden sculpture by Breton artist Francis Pellerin. 

After the visit, the students shared one of their favorite works describing why they chose that particular piece. It was interesting to see how students selected such different styles of art as their favorite. Proof that art is a personal expression that is interpreted and appreciated differently by each person.