Learning from a Local Advocate - Homelessness in Dublin

Advocating for Social Justice

Ann Chapman

Throughout the trip, students have been exploring the ways in which they can advocate for various social justice causes. One cause in particular that they have been learning about is the homelessness situation in Dublin. In the aftermath of the Covid-19 pandemic, the city is currently experiencing a rise in homelessness. 

On Thursday, students had the opportunity to listen to Glenn Gannon speak. Glenn shared his story of how he found himself homeless in Dublin during the 1990s. Students listened as he talked about how he ended up living in the street and as he described what his experience was like. Not only did he share his own story but also the stories of those he met who also found themselves without a home. He reminded the students that the homeless are people with stories. They are brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, fathers, and mothers. 

At the turn of the millennium, Glenn reconnected with his family and was able to start a new life for himself. He talked about the difficulties of starting over and the time it took. Glenn is now passionate about helping the homeless. The students asked what people can do to help. Glenn said that he just wants to encourage them to say hello. Being acknowledged can really brighten someone’s day. 

Glenn Gannon has written a book (Miracle Man: From Homeless to Hollywood) about his experience. Additionally, he has written a screenplay for a film that shares his story that is in pre-production.