History Comes to Life at the Parlement de Bretagne

Honors French Language & Culture

Bethany Malcolm

On Monday, students in the Honors Program learned about the past and present of the French legal system at the Parlement de Bretagne. Many of our students love learning history, so the visit filled a specific interest.

The building was originally used as the Parlement of the King, where parliament leaders decided on the legality of royal laws. Now, the building is home to legal processes and trials.

As we walked through the halls and visited the rooms where trials and legal processes happen, we learned of the fire that burned down the Parlement in 1994 and the process to rebuild. We saw visual reminders via ceiling paintings of the historical presence of the Catholic church in government during the French monarchy, and the shift to complete separation after the French Revolution. Students reflected that they thought it very interesting that the art from the pre-Revolutionary times contained imagery of religion, mythology, and morality, whereas the ceilings from rooms painted later were only clouds.

Students also reflected that they learned some differences between the French and American legal systems. We learned that a French jury consistes of 9 to 11 people, whereas an American jury is 12 members. We also learned that the courts in Rennes are completely closed to trials in July and August. Students were engaged and asking reflective and observant questions in French throughout the guided tour.