Fun in the Kitchen

Spanish Language & Culture

Eblin Molina

We learn more than just cooking when we are in the kitchen. That is what our students experienced when we attended a master class with Chef Riccardo Paglia. It was a hands-on class and everybody participated peeling, cutting, chopping, mixing, roasting, washing, serving, and more. They learned about the right knives to cut different vegetables, tricks to avoid crying when cutting onions (more or less), best places to buy saffron, as well as how to prepare a traditional Spanish meal.

After washing their hands, the kids started reading the recipes of the dishes in the menu and working on preparing all the ingredients. Some of them worked on the appetizer (Pipirrana salad and pimientos de Padron), some worked on the main dish (Paella), and some others made the dessert (Arroz con leche). It was a lot of fun to see the students engaged, following the different steps of each recipe and trying new ingredients. The Chef was very pleased with the work the kids did. He said it was one of the best groups he has taught.

The entire meal was enjoyed by the group and everybody did a great job cleaning after themselves. Thank you to the Chef and to all of his sous chefs for an amazing meal!