Exploring Toulouse through Street Art

French Language & Culture

Caroline Hocutt

Our brave students in Toulouse recently embarked on an unforgettable journey of artistic discovery. Tasked with a street art scavenger hunt, our students roamed the vibrant streets of the city, uncovering the  rich tapestry of urban art hidden in plain sight. This activity was not only a fun and engaging way to explore their temporary home but also an opportunity to immerse themselves in the local culture and history through its creative expressions.

Students explore the street

Toulouse, known for its unique blend of historical architecture and modern artistic flair, provided the perfect canvas for this scavenger hunt. The students found themselves navigating through narrow alleyways and bustling squares, each turn revealing a new piece of art. From intricate murals depicting the city’s heritage to thought-provoking graffiti challenging societal norms, the variety of street art showcased Toulouse’s dynamic and evolving cultural landscape. The hunt was challenging, requiring keen observation and a bit of detective work, but the students rose to the occasion with enthusiasm and determination.

This scavenger hunt was more than just a search for art; it was a learning experience that pushed the students out of their comfort zones. They had to communicate with locals, interpret clues, and collaborate with their peers, all while soaking in the visual feast around them. Each piece of art they discovered told a story, sparking conversations about technique, meaning, and the role of street art in society. The students not only honed their French language skills but also developed a deeper appreciation for the artistic and cultural diversity that Toulouse offers. At the end they got to explore their own identity and create their own “Tag” inspired by the ones they discovered along the way!

Students pose with their creations

By the end of the day, the students had gained much more than they had anticipated. They returned to their base with a newfound confidence in their ability to navigate a foreign city, a richer understanding of urban art, and countless memories of their shared adventure. This street art scavenger hunt in Toulouse was a testament to the power of experiential learning, proving that education can be as vibrant and dynamic as the art that adorns the city’s streets.