Outside Your Comfort Zone

Teach In Spain Volunteer Program

Adonica M.

The last month has felt crazy. From leaving my job, to packing for 3 months abroad, to finally saying goodbye to family and friends and hopping on a plane, I have felt many mixed emotions and asked myself many questions. Am I doing the right thing? Will I be good at teaching kids? Will I get along with my host family? But after packing and re-packing my suitcase, exchanging money, and finding candy to bring my students, I am here. And, though I just touched down a few days ago, I have a feeling it will be a valuable and wonderful experience.   

My Placement

First, let me explain where I am. I am teaching in a small town (and I mean small) called Navaleno, which is in Northern Spain in the region of Soria. Before I arrived, everyone told me it was a beautiful town, and they weren’t lying. I think just getting up in the morning and walking down the charming, narrow stone streets of Navaleno will be one of my favorite parts of the day. However, I wasn’t expecting it to be so COLD! However, chilly weather is normal in Spain in the fall and winter, especially because my village is in the north and in the mountains. And here I was thinking Spain would be warmer than my hometown in central New York! Hahaha. I’m already wearing my winter coat here and I wasn’t at home!

That being said, the town really is beautiful and nestled in the middle of a pine forest. Its small cobble-stone streets pave the way between the apartment style buildings, heavy, wooden doors, and colorful potted flowers of the Spanish homes.  Being from small town USA, and living in lush, green, central New York, I feel right at home. On top of that, the air always smells fresh and spicy with the scent of pine and wood smoke!

My School

Now, did I mention that my town is small? It’s small—and that’s saying something for a girl whose hometown population is about 6,000! But I graduated with at least 40 other people. Here, the average graduating class is 15. Yes, you heard me right-15. However, I don’t mind the size at all. In fact, the quaintness and tight community is comforting, especially when my experience with children is limited. Instead of feeling lost and overwhelmed in a large, city school, I feel secure in my quaint, little elementary building, where the classes are small and the kids eager to learn about me and my life in the United States. Additionally, my host teacher, Fran, is very innovative, energetic, and hands-on in the classroom, which makes me excited about my creative teaching possibilities.

My Family

Lastly, while I assume that it is always somewhat awkward to step into a stranger’s home and start living there, I am not too worried, as my host family has also been wonderful so far. They are accommodating and helpful and our conversations are always interesting as we help each other understand our languages and culture.  

So, in short, I am excited about the adventures and lessons that the next three months will bring and excited to share my experiences and new insights with you! Maybe it really is true that “life begins at the end of your comfort zone”- Neale Donald Walsch.