The Realities of Teaching in Spain: My Experience

Teach In Spain Volunteer Program

Kamryn K.

Teaching in Spain has been an eye-opening and rewarding experience, but it also comes with its unique challenges. Here's a glimpse into my journey as a teacher in Castilla y Leon.

Creating Lessons Without a Teaching Background

Without a formal teaching background, creating my own lessons and activities was initially daunting. Finding ways to keep students engaged required creativity and adaptation. Leveraging my New York background proved beneficial, as students and teachers were fascinated by anything related to my hometown, which I incorporated into my lessons.

Engaging Different Age Groups

Teaching older students came naturally; they enjoyed participating in discussions and asking intriguing questions. For younger students, I had to get creative with activities to maintain their interest.

Adjusting to the School Schedule

Adapting to the fluctuating school schedule was one of the biggest challenges. Unlike my previous consistent routines, the varied hours made it difficult to establish a steady routine, impacting my productivity.

Finding a Balance

I discovered that planning two types of lessons—one for younger students (grades 1-3) and one for older students (grades 4-6)—was effective. This approach minimized stress and streamlined lesson preparation. Incorporating games, movies, drawing, and books kept lessons engaging.

A Memorable Activity

One of my most memorable activities was "I Am More Than," inspired by the book I Am More Than by LeBron James. We read the book together, and then the younger students drew pictures of their future aspirations. The older students also drew their future dreams but we extended the activity to include conversations about their desired travel destinations, future schools, and places they wanted to live. This activity engaged students of all ages and provided a meaningful connection between our lessons and their personal aspirations.

Advice for Future Teachers

For those considering teaching in Spain, embrace the challenges and use your unique experiences to your advantage. Plan lessons that cater to different age groups and find activities that can engage all students. Incorporate a variety of teaching methods to make learning enjoyable and memorable. Stay flexible, be adaptable, and most importantly, enjoy the journey