Yucatecan Nature: Trip to ¨El Corchito¨ Ecological Reserve and Progreso Beach

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Gabriela Cedeño

The Yucatan Peninsula is known for its incredible beaches and other bodies of water, like cenotes. On Monday, students went on an exciting trip to two important destinations on the coast of Merida. The trip started at ¨El Corchito¨ Ecological Reserve, a very interesting place with open-air cenotes and ojos de agua (water springs) in the middle of the mangroves. This reserve is hidden in plain sight, just outside of Progreso, and can only be accessed by lancha (small boat). Students had a great time swimming in the cenotes and admiring the local wildlife, from small fish to raccoons and coatis!

Around noon, we were ready to get lunch! We moved to Progreso Beach, where a beachfront restaurant was waiting for us. Once our bellies were full, students went straight to the palapas where they got ready to swim. It was a fun afternoon, students were swimming, some others were playing volleyball and some were just enjoying the sun and the view. This was definitely one of the most relaxing and fun trips for the kids.