Yamanashi Tales

Japanese Pop Culture: Anime & Manga

Isabella Melendez

Our Yamanashi adventure continues! For the past three days our curious navigators took the time to explore all that this wonderful prefecture has to offer. The bus rides were long, and the sun had us sweating but the experience was worth it. Throughout this whole trip we were guided by the wonderful Mike, who took the time to explain to us the significance and history of all the places we visited. 

Friday

Our first stop on Friday was the Shingen Mochi (信玄餅) Factory, where students were able to see the process by which this iconic confectionary is made. At the factory they also had the chance to purchase multiple wagashi (和菓子), traditional Japanese sweets, such as the Shingen Mochi itself. Many of them took this as an opportunity to try new snacks and buy souvenirs for their loved ones! 

Photo for blog post Yamanashi Tales

Next, we took on the challenge of making our own Houtou (ほうとう), a type of noodle soup originating in Yamanashi. For this mission we travelled all the way to a noodle shop in the Shosenkyo Gorge, where a very talented teacher walked us through the entire process of making the noodles from scratch. Perhaps not all of the noodles came out perfectly, but in the end, everyone was able to make their own and enjoy eating them in the company of their friends. To close things off, the venturous navigators explored the area around the gorge on their own. Some went a bit further than others but in the end we all made it safely back on the bus!

Photo for blog post Yamanashi Tales

Photo for blog post Yamanashi Tales

Saturday

On Saturday, students put on their cutest outfits in preparation for our visit to Heidi’s Village. This theme park, modeled after the Swiss Alps, is based on the Japanese anime “Heidi, Girl of the Alps.” More specifically, it is a recreation of the scenery designs made by the legendary Hayao Miyazaki for said anime. Here, the navigators went on short strolls, grabbed lunch, saw some goats, and took a lot of aesthetic pictures! As the day began to grow hotter, it was time to get on the bus (with its blissful air conditioning) and head out to our next destination.

Photo for blog post Yamanashi Tales

Photo for blog post Yamanashi Tales

While the stop at Takeda Shrine (武田神社) was brief, it was an excellent opportunity for the navigators to gain more insight into Japanese history. This shrine is built on the former grounds of the residence of Takeda Shingen, one of Japan’s most famous and powerful feudal lords. Many of the students learned and practiced the specific steps necessary to pray at a Shinto shrine:

1. Toss a coin into an offering box
2. Shake a rope to ring a bell
3. Bow twice
4. Clap your hands twice
5. Pray and make a wish
6. Bow deeply once again

Photo for blog post Yamanashi Tales

It was then time to head back to the hotel, where our last dinner and a fun surprise awaited the students. To wrap up our trip, we were all able to enjoy playing Ping Pong against each other! A serious level of skill was displayed by some of the students, leaving us very impressed.

Photo for blog post Yamanashi Tales

Photo for blog post Yamanashi Tales

Sunday

Our last day in Yamanashi started quite early in the morning. We packed our things and headed back to Tokyo, making two main stops along the way. 
First, the navigators visited the Mt. Fuji World Heritage Center, where one is typically able to view Mt. Fuji without any obstruction from the surrounding buildings. Unfortunately, the day was quite cloudy, so students were not able to clearly see the mountain. Despite this, many purchased fun souvenirs at the gift shop to remind them of their visit. The building also had many other things to offer apart from a viewing hall such as a movie theater and an “ascending Fuji” experience via a spiral ramp. 

Photo for blog post Yamanashi Tales

Photo for blog post Yamanashi Tales

Our second and last stop was at Hakone, a popular travelling destination mainly known for its onsen (温泉, hot springs) and beautiful scenery. Here, the students had the freedom to walk around and choose a place to eat. It was a good opportunity to stretch our legs before taking the long ride back to Tokyo. 

Photo for blog post Yamanashi Tales

And thus ends our 4-day trip to the Yamanashi Prefecture! Our navigators were able to explore Japan beyond the city of Tokyo and experience some of the country’s more traditional aspects. It was a culturally enriching trip which challenged our students to interact with Japanese culture on a deeper and more intimate level.