Together in Tokyo

Japanese Pop Culture: Anime & Manga

Vanna Vongchareun

38 Global Navigators have come together in Tokyo, Japan! 

After their arrivals, the students were taken to their new home for the next 3 weeks, a hostel located in Iidabashi. They took the time to settle in, get to know their roommates, and get a good nights sleep after a long day of travel.

CIEE students at orientation

On Monday, the students headed to orientation and got their first taste of Tokyo's morning rush hour; taking the subway and getting the full city experience. At orientation, they had an introduction to the CIEE staff, rules and expectations, and got to know one another with a fun name game ice-breaker!

After a break for lunch, they continued their orientation and got to meet their class instructor, Mr. Dylan O' Brien, who will be leading their anime and manga lessons. They ended the day with a fun walk around Iidabashi to familiarize themselves with the neighborhood and did some shopping at Daiso!

CIEE students watching a short video at their disaster prevention training

Tuesday brings their first activity of the program, Disaster Prevention Training. (Fun fact: Tokyo experiences, on average, 269 earthquakes per year!) The students got to learn about ways to get out of disaster safely and participate in simulations, feeling the movement of earthquakes and the powerful wind of tsunamis!

After that, they were able to go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building to see a beautiful view of the city. They were even able to see Mt. Fuji in the distance! The day ended with an evening in Shibuya, seeing the famous Shibuya Scramble Crossing and doing some more shopping.

It's been a busy few first days but more is yet to come for these Global Navigators!