Tokyo Adventures and Beyond

Japanese Pop Culture: Anime & Manga

Yan Zhen

Our students are already settling into Tokyo life! These past two weeks have been a whirlwind of exploration and learning. From navigating the train system like pros to savoring delicious meals and discovering hidden gems, they've embraced every opportunity to immerse themselves in Japanese culture.

In the classroom, we've delved into the fascinating world of anime, examining how Japan's turbulent history has shaped its animation industry. A visit to the Showa Memorial Museum provided a powerful backdrop to these discussions, offering a sobering look at the country's journey from war to post-modern recovery.

When it's time to unwind, our students have been exploring Tokyo and beyond. Some have ventured to the historic city of Kamakura, while others have opted for a more laid-back day of roller skating. And just this weekend, we embarked on an unforgettable overnight trip to Hakone. The traditional ryokan experience, complete with futons and paper screen doors. The highlights of our trip include visits to Odawara Castle, the Hakone Open-Air Museum, and the stunning volcanic Owakudani.

With just one week left, we're already looking back on incredible memories and eagerly anticipating the adventures that lie ahead. Stay tuned for more updates!