A Visit to the Famous Fortified City of Carcassonne

Jeffi Anthony
C1

In the foothills of the Pyrenees lies the medieval walled city of Carcassonne. It was restored in the XIX century and declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997. Many of the students had heard of Carcassonne because there is a popular board game by that name. 

C2

We began with a guided tour to learn some history and see what the cité had to offer. Then the students were given free time to explore. Some went on an expedition through all the interesting shops. My favorite was that of an incredibly talented leather craftsman. Some wandered through the medieval cobblestone streets. Others relaxed and took in the views over ice cream. 

C3

“Carcassonne was a large part of the reason I chose Toulouse, and safe to say I was right for that. It is such a beautiful city filled with wonderful history and fantastic sights. The feeling of walking the streets of a 900 year old city, shopping in the fantastic gift shops, and enjoying the time with my friends in the city was just magical. I hope to be able to come again someday in the future!” ~Malachi 17, California