Vamos a la Playa!

Jordan Peebles

Let's go to the Beach!

Today our students got to experience yet another beach day here in beautiful Palma de Mallorca. We all met up and took the public bus in Palma-- which most students are quite used to riding at this point-- to a beautiful natural beach only about 6km outside of the city center. The day started out looking a little gloomy, but by the time we got to the beach the sun was definitely coming out and it was heating up. It ended up being the perfect beach day! Students were all very excited to be back at the beach since the first few days of this week were mostly spent within the city doing various activities you can read about in our next blog post. 

students at beach

The name of the beach we got to visit is "Platja d'Illetes" in Catalan, or "Beach of Islands," directly translated to English. It's a fitting name, as from the beach you can see a mini island out in front of you, and swim to it if you're brave enough! Due to its very close location to Palma and accessibility by public transport, it is a very popular beach for both locals and people visiting the island. Our program is based on full immersion, and getting to really learn about the local culture and of course practice speaking Spanish. Today some of our students took that initiative to the next level, striking up a conversation with some locals playing volleyball at the beach. They all quickly became fast friends, chatting in Spanish and playing volleyball together-- great work students!

volleyball match

While at the beach students were able to swim in the beautiful Mediterranean Sea, play some games in the sand and in the water, and just in general take some time to relax and disconnect. It was definitely a nice and fun way to start our Thursday before heading back into Palma and completing our Spanish class and community conversation activities for the day. This weekend students will have two host family days, we can't wait to see what amazing things they get up to. Stay tuned to see some of those wonderful adventures here on the blog or on our instagram, @cieepalma. Hasta luego for now, catch you later!

students at beach