Trip to Chefchaouen!

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Stephanie Humphrey

This past weekend was our overnight excursion to Chefchaouen, which is known as the Blue Pearl of Morocco.  Located about 4.5 hours from Rabat in the foothills of the Rif mountains, Chefchaouen is known as the Blue City because all of the walls are painted blue. After arriving on Friday night, we walked up to the Spanish Mosque for  panoramic views of the city at sunset.

On Saturday morning, we drove for about an hour until we reached Akchour for another hike. We hiked along a path next to clear, bubbling water. After about 45 minutes, we reached God’s Bridge, where there is a rock formation that looks like a bridge over a pool of cool, refreshing water. The students enjoyed swimming before the hike back. Back in Chefchaouen, it was a free afternoon and evening to explore the city, take photos of the charming blue streets, and do some shopping.

On Sunday morning, some students did another early morning hike. It was steep and challenging in some places, but the views of the city and Spanish Mosque below were worth it. Afterwards, we did an herbal workshop where we learned about the process of distilling oregano and its medicinal properties, which was very interesting!

It was a great weekend away discovering a new part of Morocco as we now look ahead to our final week of the program.