Weekend in Marrakesh

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Ami Hauser

Our Weekend in Marrakesh - This blog was written by one of our students - Nyx Lange

7

Reflecting on our past weekend excursion to Marrakesh from our Moroccan base of Rabat brings back so many incredible memories. The journey started with a scenic drive through the diverse landscapes of Morocco, which set the tone for an adventurous weekend. Arriving in Marrakesh, we were immediately captivated by the bustling energy of the city, before traveling further to embark in the incredible experience of camel riding. After making it back to the city center post-camels we had a beautiful rooftop dinner which introduced us to the main square of Marrakesh. One of the highlights was undoubtedly the food. We indulged in delicious tajines, pastas, and couscous as well as enjoying the vibrant street food scene. 

The nightlife in Marrakesh was equally mesmerizing, with traditional music and dance performances that added to the city’s unique charm. Even after our late night dinner the square seemed to just be waking up, showing us the differences in cultural timing compared to our experiences in the United States. Jemaa el-Fnaa square was a hub of activity, and we loved immersing ourselves in the lively atmosphere filled with storytellers, musicians, and food vendors. Visiting landmarks like the Koutoubia Mosque and the Majorelle Garden gave us a deep appreciation for the city’s historical and architectural beauty. That weekend trip was a perfect blend of cultural exploration, culinary delights, and unforgettable moments with friends.