Teufelsberg Spy Tower

German Language & Culture

Ry Elkins

Last Thursday & Friday, our groups visited the Teufelsberg spy tower in Grunewald, in the far west of Berlin. We started the excursion with a hike through the forest to the top of a man-made hill, which stands as one of the highest points between Berlin and Moscow. Once we arrived, we had a few minutes to rest before our guide collected us to tell us about the history and show us the murals that are painted on the walls of the old intelligence rooms. Our students' excitement helped them overcome tired legs, and they followed eagerly, ready to take in a staple of Berlin's street art culture.

As we climbed our way through the different levels , we had our cameras at the ready to take selfies. Some of the art was edgy and alternative, some was political in nature, but it was all beautiful. Upon reaching the top of the tower, we were greeted by one of the most stunning views of Berlin. The entire city was there before our eyes. We thanked our guide for the tour, and headed back down to catch the S-Bahn. Teufelsberg left us with a better understanding of Berlin's Cold War history, as well as many picturesque memories.