¡A Tapear!

Chassidy Simmons

To start their second week here in Barcelona with a delicious twist, our Global Navigators put on their aprons, rolled up their sleeves, and got to work in a local kitchen. Some chopped vegetables while others cracked and peeled eggs to prepare a variety of small dishes typical of different parts of Spain. Their first task was mastering the tortilla española, a staple in Spanish gastronomy. This omelet consists of egg, potatoes, and onion. Although the tortilla española seemed simple enough, our Global Navigators realized that flipping the omelet was the hardest part. Those who were able to slide their tortillas onto their plates without spilling egg and potato contents out of the frying pan, went on to fold empanadas filled with tuna and veggies to prepare them for frying. After finishing their empanadas, our students worked together to make pinchos while they learned about the culinary scenes of Basque country. 

Of course, eating the food that they made was our Global Navigators' favorite part of this experience! Not only did they learn to chef it up Barcelona style, they made memories that will last a lifetime.