¡Tapas, Flamenco, and Grafitti, Oh My!

Spanish Language & Culture

Ezekiel Zimmer

Oh, what a week it has been for our Language & Culture program here in Barcelona, Spain! In week 2 of our program, students were exposed to a wide array of activities and excursions to fully immerse themselves into the heart and culture of Barcelona. Students kicked off the week with possibly the most delicious experience of the program, being led through a 4 course tapas course led by head chef David! Students learned the ins and outs of preparing montaditos, empandas, and of course, the famous tortilla española. 

On Tuesday, students ventured into the parks to learn about the fascinating history of graffiti. Students worked together to leave their own mark on the urban landscape of Barcelona and learn about the history of street art through the years. On Wednesday, students got up and moving, participating in an invigorating crash course on Flamenco, learning some great moves to break out at their next school dance. 

To wrap up an incredible week, students had the opportunity to explore the endless beauty of Parc Güell. Antoni Gaudí's masterpiece created a memorable end to what has been an incredible week of language immersion and learning. Students have a long weekend to look forward to where they will have the opportunity to participate in the festivities of the Saint Joan celebration with their home families through Monday.