Sun and Sand on the Baltic Coast: Guest Blog by Wyatt Zwik

German Language & Culture

After spending about two weeks in the big, bustling city-state of Berlin, we traveled to Greifswald, a small town by the Baltic Sea to get a taste of life in a small German town. Right when our train arrived in Greifswald, we went straight to the local youth hostel to drop off our bags. Then, we walked over to eat some traditional German food, schnitzel (what else?). To finish off the already full day, we went on a guided tour of the town of Greifswald, taking us through the streets of cobblestone roads and picturesque buildings, ending at the historic museum harbor.

The next morning, after eating the customary German breakfast of bread, slices of meat and cheese, and fruit we packed up our bags and took a scenic boat ride to the next town, Wieck. After arriving, we split into two groups, having the options to join a group to explore the town of Wieck or a group that would go to the local beach on the Baltic Sea. I decided to go the beach, since well, who doesn’t love the beach on a warm day? At the beach, we swam, had fun, and even buried a fellow program member in the sand! Sadly, after our fun-filled time at the beach, we had to take the bus back to the train station to return to Berlin. Overall, Greifswald and Wieck were two beautiful, scenic German villages that truly contrasted the busy life of a Berliner, while also creating memories I’m sure I’ll have for the rest of my life.

Tschüss, 

Wyatt Zwik