Student blogger: Lali Solis livin’ la vida porteña in Buenos Aires

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Graham Cruise

Hola! I’m Lali Solis! I'm 15 years old from Salinas, California and this summer I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Here's a glimpse into my unforgettable experience this summer:

Lali in Buenos Aires
In front of la Casa Rosada

Stepping off the plane, I was immediately struck by the energy of Buenos Aires. The city is a beautiful mix of European charm and Latin American spirit. My first days were filled with orientation activities, meeting the other students from around the US, and getting to know my host family.

On the streets of Buenos Aires

Navigating Buenos Aires was initially a bit daunting, but after taking the city tour the first day, I quickly fell in love with the city. One of the first places we went to was Ateneo Grand Splendid, the largest bookstore in Buenos Aires, which was converted from an old theater.

In Ateneo Grand Splendid
Ateneo
Ateneo Grand Splendid

One of the highlights of my time here has been immersing myself in Argentine culture. During the first weekend, we took a trip outside of the city to an Argentine ranch, Estancia La Mimosa, where we got to experience a classic Argentine asado, or barbecue, and feed the goats. 

La MimosaLa Mimosa
Feeding goats
Asado

One of the most rewarding aspects of my study abroad experience has been connecting with local students at La Salle, a high school where we did a language exchange. It was so cool to meet local students our age and getting to practice our Spanish while they practiced their English! We got to share mate with them, which is a cherished daily ritual for any Argentinian.

Meeting local students at La Salle
Having mate at La Salle with local students
Enjoying Mate with my new local friend

Speaking of mate, we got to paint our own cup as a nice gift or souvenir to remember our life-changing experience here in Buenos Aires.

Painting mate
Finished painting my mate

My favorite part of the program by far has been the empanada cooking class. Back home, I bake cookies, cakes, and many other treats in a small business that I've started. Getting to create a classic piece of local cuisine made me feel right at home.

Making empanadas
Empanadas
Empanadas

One of the most memorable experiences was celebrating Argentina winning the Copa América against Colombia! Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

Celebrating Argentina’s win in la Copa América
Let’s go, Argentina!

I am only halfway through the program and I am filled with gratitude for this amazing journey. If you're considering studying abroad, I wholeheartedly recommend Buenos Aires – it’s a city that will capture your heart and leave you with unforgettable memories.

¡Hasta luego!