El Arte del Fútbol

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Laurie Perrin

Gracias to our student blogger Luca!

From the bustling streets of Buenos Aires to the colorful houses of La Boca, my love for soccer has always been more than just a hobby, it's a passion that runs deep in my veins. Studying abroad in Argentina, a country where fútbol is a way of life, I've experienced the electrifying atmosphere of local matches, the camaraderie of my teammates, and the sheer joy of playing the beautiful game. Every time I step onto the field, I feel an unbreakable bond with the sport and Argentine culture, as if the ghosts of iconic players like Maradona and Messi guide my every move. Soccer isn't just a game for me; it's a testament to my love for the country and its rich footballing history. 

My passion for football has grown since I was very young, and it's one of the main reasons why I came to Buenos Aires, Argentina. The passion and energy of the local soccer culture have further heightened my excitement. Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to play on actual Argentina fields twice and watch a professional club soccer game with my host family. My classmates and I have played at Club Atlético Atlanta twice now, and it has been one of my favorite experiences on my trip! I was able to defend two of our trip PLs, Graham and Lucas, and even score some goals! My team placed second in our first fútbol tournament, but we improved our performance the second time around and won with a whopping 7 to 4 goals. 

My lovely host family, Andrea, Armando, and their daughter Violetta, were able to get my host brother and me tickets to a professional club game. The club game was like nothing I had imagined. The stadium was three times the size of my school's bleachers, and the crowd sounded like a tsunami of cheers, screaming a song in Spanish that I unfortunately did not understand. The game itself was filled with loud screams, roaring boos, and ended, unfortunately, with a tie of 0-0. Despite the score, the energy and passion of the fans made it an unforgettable experience, leaving me with a deeper appreciation for the sport. I felt truly immersed in the heart of Argentine soccer culture, a memory I will cherish forever.