Natural Wonder of the World: A Student Journey to Iguazú

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Graham Cruise

After taking a short plane trip from Buenos Aires to Iguazú, our first stop was exploring the Triple Frontera, where Argentina, Brazil, and Paraguay meet, separated only by the river below. Each country includes a landmark obelisk painted in the colors of their flag to make it easy to identify each side of the border. Watching the sunset across three countries is something remarkable to experience at least once in a lifetime.

Iguazú
Triple Frontera
Triple Frontera
Triple Frontera
Triple Frontera
Triple Frontera
Triple Frontera

Our adventure continued the next morning as we headed straight into the jungle on our way to see Iguazú Falls, one of the seven Natural Wonders of the World, which spans both Argentina and Brazil. We began our journey trekking through the lush Iguazú National Park where we were greeted by a pack of adorable and playful coatíes, a native raccoon-like critter, monkeys, and a few lucky onlookers caught brief glimpses of toucans.

Iguazú
Coatíes
Iguazú
Toucans

Our first leg of the trip took us along raised footbridges that meandered over the Iguazú River towards La Garganta del Diablo (Devil’s Throat), the precipice of the waterfalls. As we got closer and closer, the roar of the falls grew louder until we reached the first lookout, where the sight of the cascading water took our breath away. From the peak, we looked straight into the heart, taking in the enormity and sheer power of the waterfalls.

Iguazú
La Garganta del Diablo
Garganta del Diablo
Graganta del Diablo
Iguazú
Garganta del Diablo
Garganta del Diablo

From there, we followed two more circuits that took us all around the waterfalls to enjoy every unique angle and vantage point, each unveiling a new facet of its incredible beauty. The unforgettable vistas, the spray of the falls, and the lush, wildlife-rich surroundings created an immersive experience that resonated deeply with each of us. 

Iguazú
Iguazú
Iguazú
Iguazú
Iguazú
Iguazú
Iguazú
Iguazú
Iguazú
Iguazú
Iguazú
Iguazú
Iguazú

This trip not only showcased the stunning natural wonders of Iguazú but also reminded us of the importance of preserving such pristine environments. As we departed, the memories of our adventure lingered, filled with the sounds of water and the vibrant colors of the rainforest, leaving us with a profound appreciation for one of the world's most remarkable natural treasures.