Stroopwafel YUM!!!

Smart Cities & Sustainability

Barbara Swisher

Our Dutch language class is just, fun!  We were introduced to many Dutch words and phrases.  These will help us navigate Amsterdam and the Netherlands, though, people speak English everywhere, so not too many chances to practice.

Our teacher makes class interactive and experiential. A walking tour, with stops and questions, eventually arriving at the largest market in the city, the Albert Cuyp Market. (Clothes, jewelry, fruits and vegetables, plus FOOD!!) We explored the market, and then we were brought to a Stroopwafel stand and enjoyed this tasty Dutch treat.

A Stroopwafel is a thin waffle, sliced lengthwise into two separate pieces.  The cook then slathers a caramel sauce over the bottom piece, puts the other piece on top and there you have it, a delicious warm waffle with caramel oozing out of the center.  You can even have this amazing treat with chocolate.  

Luckily we had to take a long walk back to the CIEE building where our classes are held. We worked off a few of those calories.