Weekend Getaway in Rotterdam!

Smart Cities & Sustainability

Arianna Ortiz

Students and PL's embarked on a 1 hour train ride from Amsterdam to Rotterdam to explore a new city strategically focused on sustainability. Everyone was immediately captivated by how different Rotterdam is from Amsterdam, truly taking in all of the diversity in people, cultures and food. Students very quickly were also able to notice the stark differences in architecture and just how much more living space "Rotterdamians" have in comparison to "Amsterdamians." 

Rotterdam
Rotterdam

We ended that night in our new Hostel, and got some much needed sleep. The following day, we went to an amazing floating farm in Rotterdam. Students were given a tour of the sustainable and renewable farm, followed by an opportunity to pet and feed the cows. We ended the experience with a fresh cheese and milk tasting. 

Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Rotterdam

After the floating farm visit, we visited a WW2 museum to learn about the Rotterdam bombing under the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands. It was a very heavy and informational experience, so we decided to end the evening on a much higher note! We all went to an all you can eat pancake boat restaurant! Students had a blast picking their own pancakes and toppings for the duration of the boat tour through the canals of Rotterdam. 

Rotterdam

The following day before departure back to Amsterdam, we took all of the students to the fantastic Bazar Restaurant for Middle Eastern food. The students were mesmerized by the beautiful interior decorations of the restaurant as well as the authentic style of family dinging. It was a fantastic way to end our Rotterdam experience!

Rotterdam

Until next time Rotterdam! 

Rotterdam