Cultural Experience: Stamppot

Smart Cities & Sustainability

Alyssia Bell

A to Z, Stamppots are Tasty

We recently had the unique opportunity to immerse ourselves in Dutch culture by learning how to cook a traditional Dutch dinner—Stamppot. The delightful Caro Kooht, a long-time collaborator with CIEE, graciously welcomed us into her home. She provided a brief history of Stamppot, introduced us to her adorable dog Tess, and guided us through the cooking process.

The History of Stamppot

stammpot

Stamppot, a beloved Dutch comfort food, has a rich history dating back to the 16th century. It traditionally consists of mashed potatoes combined with various vegetables such as kale, carrots, and onions, often served with sausages or meatballs. This hearty dish was originally a winter staple, providing warmth and nourishment during the colder months.

A First for Many: Cooking Stamppot

For many of the students, this was their first experience with tasks like peeling potatoes, cutting carrots, forming meatballs, and assisting with the overall cooking process. The kitchen buzzed with excitement and curiosity as everyone dived into their roles. It was heartwarming to see the students' enthusiasm and teamwork as they learned new skills and prepared the meal together.

Some highlights from our cooking session:

• Peeling Potatoes: A surprisingly fun and communal activity that sparked a lot of laughter.
  • Cutting Carrots: Students learned knife skills and the importance of precision in cooking.
  • Forming Meatballs: A hands-on task that allowed for creativity and bonding as students crafted their meatballs.
cooking
alan and zev making meatballs

Enjoying the Fruits of Our Labor

cooking potatoes

Once the Stamppot was ready, we gathered around the table to enjoy the meal we had prepared. The sense of accomplishment was palpable as everyone dug into the delicious food. It was not just a meal but a celebration of our collective effort and the cultural insights we had gained.

eating

Wrapping Up a Memorable Day

After eating, we all pitched in to clean up, reinforcing the sense of community and responsibility. We then took a group photo to capture the moment before heading out for some free time in the city. The day was not just about learning to cook but about experiencing Dutch hospitality and culture firsthand.

holly

A heartfelt thank you to Caro Kooht for being such an incredible host and for opening her home and kitchen to us. Her warmth and expertise made the experience unforgettable, and we are grateful for the memories and skills we gained today.

tess