Pollença and Alcúdia City Tours

Spanish Language & Culture

Shannon Grand

On Saturday, we went to the north of Mallorca through the Sierra of Tramontana to explore parts of the island outside of Palma. We started in Pollença, a town founded in the 13th Century with a local market, cafés and shops, and a church rebuilt in 1790 in gothic style. There, we climbed the 365 steps of the Calvario, a hill with a chapel at the top that is the site of important religious celebrations during Holy Week and Easter.

On our way to our next town, we stopped by a viewpoint at Es Colomer, where we were able to appreciate the unique landscape of the Tramontana region and the sweeping views of the ocean from the rocky peaks. Then, we stopped by Formentor Beach to relax for a bit in the sun and cool off in the clear water.

Finally, we passed through the town of Alcúdia, where we did a scavenger hunt through the winding alleys to find certain streets and observe the architecture of the town. We will be back in this area in a few weeks when we go camping, so it was nice to see the town and get a preview of what the north of the island looks like.

We are excited to be starting Week 2 after a busy Week 1 getting to know Mallorca!