Penguins, Surfing, and African Stew

Ocean Conservation & Sustainability

Connar Franklin

After getting settled in, students had a very exciting first week. After the weather finally cleared, students have taken part in a wide variety of South African activities. 

Adventures started off with a chilly dip in the Indian Ocean for a surf lesson. The waves were pretty heavy, but everyone managed to get the hang of it. Although it was a bit cloudy (ok, maybe a lot cloudy), students were finally able to take the cable car to the top of Cape Town’s iconic Table Mountain on the last day before it closed for maintenance. 

On the more academic side of things, students participated in their first Afrikaans language lesson, had the chance to search for starfish in a tidal pool, and went to visit the Boulder Beach penguin colony. 

Students also had the opportunity to visit a local cooking school and prepare their own traditional stew. They also had the chance to sample sheep’s head and play drums with a local band. You can check out Instragam for footage of them performing “The Lion Sleeps Tonight.” We have a busy week ahead and much more to do!