Cape Town July 10

Ocean Conservation & Sustainability

Connar Franklin

Week 1: 

Students are finally settling in to begin their program in Cape Town. The trip got off to a late start after severe weather caused a flight delay and an overnight stay in Washington DC. Students made the most of the delay and visited several of the Smithsonian museums (and even managed to spot an elephant). 

We arrived in Cape Town Monday night, climbed the many steps to our accommodation, and prepared for our first week. On Tuesday, after a morning of orientation, we visited the Slave Lodge in Cape Town. This is a museum that traces the history of the slave trade in South Africa. Foggy weather turned our trip up a mountain to overlook the city into a trip into a cloud, but we will visit again once the weather improves. Students were finally able to get down to the beach and dip their feet in the water before dinner. 

On Wednesday students visited the Two Oceans Aquarium and learned about a variety of aquatic wildlife including penguins, stingrays, and sharks. They also had the opportunity to explore Muizenberg and find a local restaurant for dinner. 

Jet lag is finally wearing off, and we are looking forward to a week filled with exciting activities.