Our Görlitz Getaway

German Language & Culture

Emily Cramer

Students spent the weekend outside of Berlin and escaped to the quieter city of Görlitz! We left early Saturday morning and arrived just in time to explore the city for lunch. Given that Görlitz shares a border with the Polish city Zgorzelec, some students ventured over the border for a quick Polish lunch! Afterwards, we split into three smaller groups for a guided tour of the city. The students were able to see buildings from the 12th century given that Görlitz was not destroyed during the Second World War. 

After the tours, students explored the city on their own and enjoyed the sunshine. For dinner, students were able to dine at German, Greek, or Polish restaurants. Many of our students wanted to watch the German soccer immediately following dinner, so they gathered in the youth hostel’s common room. Germany won 2-0!

On Sunday, students enjoyed a classic German breakfast of Brötchen (bread rolls) with either deli meats or butter and jam at the hostel. Their last few hours in the city consisted of visiting museums and walking along the cobblestone streets soaking up the beauty that is Görlitz!