Meeting Madrid!

Clare Duckworth

This past Sunday, 87 CIEE high school participants arrived in the vibrant city of Madrid! Powering through the jetlag, the students were able to enjoy a taste of Spanish culture during their first two days in the city at orientation and the walking tour. For the Welcome Lunch and Dinner, they were served some typical Spanish dishes: croquetas de setas (Mushroom croquettes), ensalada de cangrejo (crab salad), y tortilla de patata (Spanish omelet). For dessert, they had an espresso chocolate mousse in a miniature mason jar. ¡Que rico! 

Welcome Dinner

After being given the tools to master their study abroad experience in Madrid, they were finally ready to to meet their homestay families and prepare for the first day of classes. On the first day of lessons, participants left their nervous jitters at their new homestays (ah!) and came prepared to learn about Madrid’s historic center during an immersive tour by CIEE staff. We walked around Sol, learning new vocabulary and history about Madrid’s famous symbols like the Oso, the Madroño, and the kilometro cero. 

El oso y el madroño

We continued the walking tour by heading towards the Royal Palace, making brief stops to learn about the Opera house and the iconic statues in the Plaza de Oriente. We also learned that the Royal Palace has over 3,400 rooms in it… can’t think of an easier place to get lost! Afterwards, we headed towards one of the most well-known landmarks in Madrid: Plaza Mayor. There, we pondered the way people made use of the plaza during its long history: markets, public trials, bullfighting, and protests. 

Plaza Mayor

Let’s see what the next weeks in Madrid have in store for us! ¡Tenemos muchas ganas de vivir esta sesión con estos participantes espectaculares!