Hoi CIEE Families!

Smart Cities & Sustainability

Arianna Ortiz

Please refer to Alyssia's post for an overview of Day 1! 

Day Two (July 9th, 2024)

Students woke up at around 8:00 am for breakfast in the hostel's cafeteria. Our breakfast of champions consists of hard boiled eggs, toast, deli meats and cheeses, cereal, yogurt, granola, and fresh fruit. Students got the protein they needed to embark on their first full day of classes at CIEE Amsterdam! Some students chose to walk around ~30 minutes to the center while others took the local Tram. 

Cafeteria

Cafeteria at Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Oost (Zeeburg)

After breakfast, students headed to CIEE Amsterdam for their first full day of classes. Group B kicked off the day with their Dutch Language class. Everyone learned greetings and salutations with the instructor. Students also learn to say thank you and say a few lines about themselves in Dutch. Participants were encouraged to use salutations during their free time!

To test their Dutch language skills, we took them to a lively flea market in Dapperstraat! Students became more comfortable with introducing themselves to vendors and engaging in small talk with locals. 

Market
Market

Many students also elected to try Proffertjes and chat with the vendor using their Dutch greetings and small talk learned in class. Profertjes are small dutch batter cakes that resemble fluffy pancakes. Their courage impressed the vendor and everyone thought the Proffertjes were delicious! 

Dutch Pancakes
Market

Group B then went to the Canteen at the University of Amsterdam for lunch. Lunch is so delicious and there is so much variety in food options. Students can choose to eat anything from Indian butter chicken and samosa chaat, to a tempeh peanut salad bowl. It was the perfect way to refuel for class again at CIEE. 

Canteen selfie

Students walked back to CIEE for their first Smart Cities & Sustainability class with instructor Katie. Students got to play the Sustainable Development Goals game and learn basic sustainability, smart city and circular economy concepts. Students left class at 4:30 pm and had 2 hours of free time to explore the city. 

After dinner at 7:00 pm, students and PL's all gathered in front of the big screen at the hostel to watch the Euro Cup Semi-Final! Students went to bed debating whether Spain or France would make it to the finals! 

Euro Cup Semi-Final

Students Watching the Euro Cup at the hostel 

Please refer to Julia's post for more information!