Heading outside Berlin! Palaces of Potsdam

German Language & Culture

Theresia DiPalma

On our first Saturday in Berlin, we took multiple trains to get to Potsdam on our day-long field trip. Potsdam is a historically rich city outside of Berlin that used to be a part of East Germany (DDR). It is plentiful with large parks, luscious trees, and  5 amazing castles. As the students walked through the old city they were able to feel the spirit of times long past. Potsdam boasts a romantic and relaxed atmosphere.

Photo for blog post Heading outside Berlin! Palaces of Potsdam

First, we took a tour through Freunschaftsinel (Friendship Island) and then we went to Alter Markt Square which is the home of the Brandenburg Parliament. 

The students enjoyed the sights and interesting history of the city. They followed the guide along the city and through 4 of the 5 castles. I believe we walked over 8 miles on Saturday. 

The morning was cool and dry; mid-day we got sprinkled on by refreshing rain. It was heartwarming to see students sharing their umbrellas as the rain fell. Most students stayed longer on the grounds of Frederick the Great as it was breathtakingly beautiful. We are so glad to have had the opportunity to step back in time and stroll the paths of royalty. It was almost as if Frederick himself was with us.