Guacamole contest!

Karina Suarez Luna

When you think of México, what comes to mind? Tacos? Tortas? Tamales? Maybe some Guacamole? Well you are right! México has an extensive repertoir of delicous food! Every region is different and has a variety of traditional foods! Some foods though, no matter where you are, stay the same. One example is Guacamole. 
On Monday we set out to a local restaurant where a chef taught us about how and what makes guacamole special. 
Before we left school, we pulled names out of a hat to make teams because we were going to have a contest! The chef was in charge of tasting each guacamole. He was looking for: Best taste, name of Guac, and presentation. 
Each group worked together to make the best guacamole ever! The students were given 30 minutes to cut, mix, taste, and make their guacamole from scratch. Each group had to challenge themselves to make the best guacamole and work with other students (and lets not forget, it all had to be spoken in Spanish). 
Each group had to present their guacamole to the judge, they all described how and what brought them to their idea and also the process they followed to make their amazing guac. 
After taste testing, critique from the chef and finding the winning group (pictured below). Our chef made everyone a delicious half pound burger with fries! The restaurant is very well known for its natural and home made items! (The chef even makes his own Ketchup!). All the kids taste tested one anothers' guacamole creations and ate their hamburguesas! We could barely move after that one! 
Our winning group received a diploma and a beautiful Mérida pen.