Exploring El Barrio Santa Cruz and el Castillo de Santa Bárbara

¡Hola a todos!

The students have continued to get to know Alicante and learn a lot about the history and culture of the city by exploring and practicing their Spanish with each other and with locals.

Yesterday, during one of the Into the Community activities, the groups discovered el Barrio Santa Cruz, the oldest and most traditional neighborhood in Alicante. The students really enjoyed exploring this part of the city, as it offers a different atmosphere where cars cannot even pass through. All of the small houses have their own character and are decorated with flower pots and colorful tiles.

The students made a lot of great observations about the culture of the neighborhood. They even spoke with some of the residents! Here are some of the pictures the students took during the activity.

BarrioSantaCruz1

Yesterday, we also took in some incredible views of the entire city, the mountains, the beaches, the water and the port… but only after climbing up to the top of el Castillo de Santa Bárbara. It was definitely a hike, but all of the students agreed that it was worth the climb once we got to the top! Here are some photos of the climb and the views from the top.

I can’t believe that we are about to close out our first week! It certainly has been a great start and we are all looking forward to more learning, exploring and having fun here in Alicante!

- Sam