Excursion au Marché de Lices

Honors French Language & Culture

Stephanie Segretto

Saturdays in Rennes come alive with the vibrant energy of Le Marché de Lices, an open-air market set on the historic jousting grounds of the Middle Ages. As the second largest open-air market in France (second only to Paris), it offers an unforgettable sensory experience. Fermiers (FAIR-mee-yay-Farmers), Poissonniers (Pwah-SON-ee-yay-Fishmongers), Fromagers (FRO-mah-zhay-Cheesemongers), Bouchers (BOO-shay-Butchers), Charcutiers (SHAR-kew-tee-ayay-Prepared and cured meat Merchants), Boulangers (BOO-lahn-zhay-Bakers), Pâtissiers (Pah-TEE-see-yay-Pastry shop owners and pastry makers), and Fleuristes (FLUHR-eest-Florists) are just some of the different merchants who come from both local and further areas to sell their wares. For the French, the open air market is the quintessential and traditional way to shop for your families and offer a once a week, farm-to-table meal on Saturday or Sunday. 

Strolling through the market, you'll encounter a dazzling array of fresh flowers and plants, colorful vegetables, ripe fruits, aromatic breads and pastries, and a tantalizing selection of cheeses, seafood, meats, and prepared foods from around the globe. You'll find delicacies from Syria, Haiti, Japan, India, and Vietnam, along with the beloved traditional Breton crêpes and galettes.

Speaking of which, crêpes "crep" are delicate, thin pancakes that can be topped with a variety of sweet treats:

- Beurre et sucre: butter and sugar

-Chocolat et chantilly: chocolate sauce and whipped cream

- Citron: lemon juice and sugar

- Nutella: chocolate hazelnut spread

- Crème marron: sweet roasted chestnut paste

- Confiture: jam

- Caramel beurre salé: salted caramel butter—a Breton specialty

Galettes, the savory cousins of crêpes, are made with fine buckwheat flour and are naturally gluten-free. They have a hearty texture and are typically filled with ingredients like:

- Jambon, emmental, œufs, épinards, champignons: ham and emmental cheese, soft yolky egg, spinach, mushrooms

One must-try is the galette saucisse, a warm Breton sausage wrapped in a freshly made galette, a local favorite that's not to be missed.

Students had a great time speaking with various vendors and ordering food to be later shared and exchanged. 

Whatever your cravings, Le Marché de Lices is sure to delight and satisfy your taste buds.

#Rennes #lemarche #France #adventures #europe #crêpes