Down The Yuna River in the City of Everlasting Spring

Monica Malcomson

During a 3 day weekend getaway, sudents travel to Jarabacoa, a mountainess cool climate in the northern region of the Dominican Republic. Known for its eco tourism, Jarabacoa rises about 525m above sea level and offers a refreshing tropical oasis that many have called the Dominican Republic's "City of Everlasting Spring". Here students were able to explore the Monte Alto Coffee Factory and learned the process of cultivating coffee from nature's plant to tasty mug, standing at the foot of the Baihuate waterfall and basking in its misty streams, and exploring the Flower Festival celebrated in the local town. The excursion that stole the show was a water rafting in a thrilling journey down the Yuna River! Students geared up at the Rancho Jarabacoa, where our trusty tour guides helped us with helmets and life vests. We then traveled in an open-aired truck through the small town and ventured up into the mountains enjoying lush green views.

Students were so eager to decend down the river but were first given a short lesson on water rafting skills, terminology and safety. In groups of 6, were screams and yelps of excitment as we pushed off the rocks and began to glide with the current. A 2 hour adventure mixed with rough rapids and leasury floating was magical for the students. Jazmin exlamed, " This is the happiest I've felt in a long time" and other students said it was the best experience they have ever had. When we reached our ending point, everyone wanted to do it again!