Our Final Days

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Anaya Benzan

The Beginning of the Week

In our last week, students participated in their final few class sessions, showing off their improved Spanish skills, thoughtful reflections, and innovative ideas for service projects they may implement in their local communities. 

To enjoy their final few days in the city, students also had the opportunity to enjoy structured free time, where many returned to their favorite places to eat, purchase souvenirs for their loved ones, and explore city attractions, such as the gondola. 

Furthermore, the group visited the university’s campus to play games and engage in team bonding activities and friendly competition. It was wonderful seeing the smiles, laughter, and community jokes these games brought to the group, and it served as great practice for the pickup game of basketball students played later in the week during the city mural tour!  

It is during times like this where bonds continued to develop and shine, and the feeling of community within the group thrived. 

Finally, the students' Actionable Proposal projects showed just how much thought and care the students had for making a difference in their communities. Students shared about their current service, such as supporting local environmental organizations, attending political protests, and volunteering at existing community organizations. They also shared how they anticipate expanding their involvement by starting or partnering with school clubs to increase tutor availability and study materials for different schools, raising awareness about the implications gun violence has on communities and providing mental health resources, and leading cleanup initiatives for bodies of water in their towns. 

class

Hearing the students share the connections they’ve made between the United Nations goals and the community action they intend on implementing in their hometowns showed how much they’ve grown within our time together, and it was beautiful to learn more about each other and our interests throughout the presentations!