Discover the Healing Power of Your Backyard: A Hands-On Adventure at Jardin des Mille Pas

Honors French Language & Culture

Stephanie Segretto

Did you know that your backyard might hold a treasure trove of medicinal herbs? Our students recently discovered this fascinating fact during a visit to the enchanting Jardin des Mille Pas in Rennes.

Guided by the knowledgeable local herbalist Loreanne, we explored the garden's lush patches of berries, herbs, and flowers. The students sniffed, touched, and tasted the array of plants such as Mûre (blackberries), Hysope (hyssop), Échinacée (cone flower-echinacea), Lavande (lavender), Camomille (chamomile), and Menthe (mint). With a panier en osier (wicker basket) in hand, they gathered various flowers and herbs to create their own tisane, a soothing hot beverage made from herbs and flowers, like tea, but it doesn’t contain tea leaves.

As they waited for the tisane to infuse, the students learned about the medicinal properties and uses of these plants. For instance, chamomile is known to alleviate headaches and aid digestion, while lavender promotes relaxation and calm. They applied this knowledge in a fun activity, placing herbs on a drawing of a human figure to indicate where each herb might help based on depicted ailments.

After their educational harvest, the students enjoyed their freshly made tisane, sweetened to taste, if desired.

Their adventure didn't end there. They also met Lucie, another talented instructor, who demonstrated the art of milling grains into flour. Using both traditional hand grinding and modern electric grinding methods, the students experienced the process firsthand. They also practiced their French vocabulary by matching ingredient names to images and jars, putting their language skills to the test.

This immersive experience taught the students not only about herbalism and grain milling but also about the rich history and practices of our ancestors. The hands-on activities sparked curiosity and enthusiasm, leaving the students with newfound skills and a deeper appreciation for nature's remedies and the hard work it takes to farm and to produce flour.

This delightful day at Jardin des Mille Pas will be a cherished memory, hopefully inspiring students to explore the natural wonders in their own backyards. 

For more exploration at home, the books of world renown master herbalist Rosemary Gladstar are a great place to start.