Day Trip to Dragonera!

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability (En Español)

Karime Sepulveda

After immersing students in Spanish culture with their host families on Saturday, we set off on our first boat adventure: a day trip to Dragonera Island! Upon arrival, we hiked to the top of the lighthouse, where we stood in awe of the breathtaking views. After our hike, we headed to the shore for an educational session with our expert marine biologist, Paula Martin Blàzquez. 

During this lesson, students learned about various organisms found in the Mediterranean, including posidonia, sea urchins, algae, and pepino de mar (sea cucumber), among many others. Eager to explore further, the global navigators grabbed their snorkeling gear and set out to identify these marine species firsthand.

Once back on land, students took inventory of their observations, learning both the Spanish and English terminology for each species. Our day continued with some free time in the town of San Telm, a charming place on the southwest coast of Mallorca. Some students cooled off with ice cream, while others enjoyed the beach until it was time to head back to Palma.