A Day of Discovery: Exploring Cabrera

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Paulina Molina

On Wednesday, July 24th, our Marine Ecosystems and Sustainability program participants embarked on an unforgettable excursion to the island of Cabrera, a pristine gem off the east coast of Mallorca. This adventure was a blend of field work and exploration, designed to deepen their understanding of marine biology.

Upon arrival, the group set off on a hike to Cabrera's historic castle. As they ascended, students were treated to breathtaking views of the island's rugged coastline and crystal-clear waters. This trek was an opportunity to discuss the island’s historical significance and its role in marine conservation.

The highlight of the excursion was undoubtedly the snorkeling session. Snorkels in hand, students plunged into the vibrant underwater world of Cabrera. They marveled at the diverse marine life, with many lucky enough to spot elusive octopuses hiding and burrowed into the sea floor. This hands-on experience reinforced their classroom lessons, making the concepts of marine ecosystems tangible and memorable.

After the snorkeling adventure, the group re-boarded the ferry for the next exciting destination: the “Cueva Azul,” or Blue Cave. As the boat entered the cave, the students were mesmerized by the ethereal blue light reflecting off the water, a natural wonder that left everyone in awe.

We look forward to our last few days of the program and continuing our enriching experiences as our students continue to explore and learn about the wonders of the marine world!