Dance the Night Away: Merengue, Bachata, and Salsa Class in Merida, Mexico!

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Ellen Tischendorf
students
instructors dancing

“In Mexico, many of us learn to dance before we walk,” Ricardo, our lively dance instructor, explained as he prepared to guide us through every side step and twirl and teach us the basics of merengue, bachata, and salsa. Not only did we learn some new moves, we also left the class understanding the cultural significance that dance holds in Mexico. The students swayed and strutted the afternoon away, many leaving with a newfound appreciation and love for dance. 

students dancing

Merengue, with its origins in the Dominican Republic, we learned is accomplished with march-like steps and rhythmic hip movements. The students had fun freestyling their new moves to artists like Juan Luis Guerra. We slowed it down with some Bachata, also with Dominican roots, where we side-stepped and box-stepped with partners. Finally, we sped it up once more with salsa and were wowed by our instructors as they showcased some of their best salsa routines. 

One student shared, “It was a completely new experience, mostly because dancing is very different in the US. Still, it was very fun and I would love to do it again.” - Tommie Unsell 

Whether these students had previous experience with dance or not, they all danced the afternoon away. Ask them to show you their new moves when they get back home!