Master Chef: Merida

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Ellen Tischendorf
cooking

Welcome to Master Chef: Merida! On Monday, students explored the world of Yucatecan cuisine and embraced the culinary challenge of mastering three traditional Yucatecan dishes. Students were given a recipe packet (in Spanish, of course) and a quick explanation of each dish by the head chef, then in groups of 5 set off to cook their 3 course meal. 

culinary class

Entrada: Chayitas 

chayitas

Our journey starts with the appetizer: Chayitas. Under the guidance of local chefs, students learned about the native Chaya plant. This green, leafy plant is comparable to spinach not only in looks and taste, but for its high iron content. In order to use this plant, the chef explained that there is a legend and ritual of asking the plant permission to be picked and used. Those who do not respect the plant, may walk away with a stinging sensation or rash! First, the Chaya was blanched and cut into small squares. Then it was mixed into a corn flour based dough, shaped into half moon tortillas, and fried. These were paired with a savory tomato sauce. 

Plato Principal: Lomitos de Valladolid

lomitos

Next up, the main event: Lomitos de Valladolid. Tender pork was slowly cooked in a tomato and habanero sauce and bursting with flavor. This dish is a testament to Yucatecan ingenuity, combining indigenous ingredients. The students rolled up their sleeves, and worked together to make this classic dish come to life. 

Postre: Arroz con Leche

And finally, for dessert: Arroz con Leche, a rice pudding infused with cinnamon and vanilla. First, rice was boiled with a whole cinnamon stick. Later, whole milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk were added. This sweet treat was a simple yet delicious reward for all their hard work. 

Conclusion

In the heart of Merida, these high school students became master chefs for a day, discovering the magic of Yucatecan cuisine. The experience left a lasting impression, inspiring them to bring a taste of Merida back home and share their newfound culinary skills with family and friends.

Bon appétit, or as they say in Merida, ¡buen provecho!

cooking