Cliffs, Culture, and Creamy Delights

Advocating for Social Justice

Samantha Bendoff

In the midst of a busy summer, the CIEE Social Justice Dublin students set off on a day trip known for striking cliffs and historical charm. Their destination? The charming coastal village of Howth. The trip was both a recreational and educational outing, aimed at providing students with a deeper understanding of Ireland's natural and cultural heritage. Accompanied by Aaron, a knowledgeable local guide, the group experienced a day filled with hiking, exploring, and community engagement.

The students began their journey boarding the bus, train on the way back, from Dublin to Howth. The 45-minute ride provided a scenic transition from the urban environment of Dublin to the coastal landscapes of Howth. Aaron, who had joined the group in Dublin, prepared them for what to expect, emphasizing the significance of Howth’s natural features and its cultural history.

Upon arrival, the group headed directly to the Howth Cliff Walk, a well-known trail that offers expansive views of the Irish Sea. Aaron led the hike, offering insights into the geological formations, local flora and fauna, and the historical context of the area. Though seals were not sighted during this visit, the students found the views of the cliffs and the sea captivating. Students were able to view and photograph the Howth Lighthouse, a notable landmark that adds to the area's historical narrative. Aaron discussed its role in local maritime activities. The students also took the cliff walk as an opportunity to capture the scenic views along the trail, which provided excellent vantage points for landscape photography.

After the hike, the group returned to Howth village, where they were given time to explore on their own. The village offered a mix of historical sites, local shops, and a bustling harbor, providing insights into the daily life and cultural practices of the community. Students loved spending time at the harbor, observing the fishing boats and enjoying the maritime atmosphere. The day concluded with a visit to a local gelato shop, where the group gathered to enjoy a variety of gelato flavors.